Commlaw Source

FOLLOWING THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS INDUSTRY AND RELATED LEGAL TOPICS

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Today's Tunney Act Hearing ... Be Hopeful, But Keep Your Expectations In Check

Good luck to the competitors moving forward with today's Tunney Act hearing on the SBC/AT&T and Verizon/MCI mergers. Like many, we have been watching this one pretty closely, and we sincerely commend the creative efforts and hard work of the proponents.

Regretfully and unfortunately, even though we agree wholeheartedly with the merits of the competitive cause, our expectations on the ultimate result are very, very low.

We all like to use the rallying cry of the "rule of law" as a basis for why we believe we should be treated fairly. But as to fairness, the rule of law only guarantees judicial process, not justice. The district court has provided a lot of process. We don't, however, expect any justice.

1 Comments:

Blogger Raphy said...

I hear dat. At the very least, it's good to see the blogosphere and the media picking up on the story and highlighting just how over the top the Bells have been (not to mention DoJ and the administration with F 500 companies).

Speaking of over the top, I read this interview recently between Jeff Halpern and Ed Whitacre:

JH: How much of the merger savings do you anticipate the regulators are going to demand get returned to customers as part of the approval process? And then what’s your sense about how the confirmation of Robert McDowell of the SBC affects the BellSouth approval process?
EW: “I think the new commissioner — I guess it remains to be seen whether he’ll vote on the BellSouth merger or not. I think you can find it both ways. But in any case, I don’t think it makes any difference in the BellSouth merger . And number two, and I’m reasonably confident of this, is I don’t think we’ll have to give back anything. I don’t think we’ll have to give back one thing to gain approval of the BellSouth merger. And we really did not on the AT&T merger; I think the same conditions exist here, I don’t expect to give back anything.”

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home